Saturday, October 27, 2018

The Bachelor Girl's Guide to Murder by Rachel McMillan




Title:  The Bachelor Girl’s Guide to Murder
Author: Rachel McMillan
Publisher: Harvest House
Published: March 1, 2016
Genres: Mystery, Historical, Christian Fiction, Romance
Pages: 222
Series: Herringford and Watts #1
Source: own
Format: paperback



Summary from Goodreads:

In 1910 Toronto, while other bachelor girls perfect their domestic skills and find husbands, two friends perfect their sleuthing skills and find a murderer.

Inspired by their fascination with all things Sherlock Holmes, best friends and flatmates Merinda and Jem launch a consulting detective business. The deaths of young Irish women lead Merinda and Jem deeper into the mire of the city's underbelly, where the high hopes of those dreaming to make a new life in Canada are met with prejudice and squalor.

While searching for answers, donning disguises, and sneaking around where no proper ladies would ever go, they pair with Jasper Forth, a police constable, and Ray DeLuca, a reporter in whom Jem takes a more than professional interest. Merinda could well be Toronto's premiere consulting detective, and Jem may just find a way to put her bachelor girlhood behind her forever--if they can stay alive long enough to do so. 





I wasn’t sure what to expect from this book before I read it. I didn’t really have a lot of expectations, good or bad. The story was told from three different perspectives, Merinda, Jemima, and Ray. I feel like Jemima had more time from her point of view. I could be wrong. I also enjoyed hers the most so that could be why. I do think there are funny moments to this book. This book was a slower paced read. A quite bit slower than I liked. There were some references to Sherlock, which I enjoyed. The book also had short quotes in the beginning of each chapter. I think all the quotes were fake literature the author created. Some were funny. I don’t always read those, but I would in this case.


I guessed who I thought did the crimes. I was kind of right but then I doubted myself, so yeah. I do think the romance kind of happened a bit fast. I was glad with the pairings but would have loved a slower burn. I probably will read the second book, but if I don’t like it much better, I don’t know if I’ll bother with the rest. I still think it’s a four star, but it was just too slow for my taste, especially being a mystery. I’ll just have to wait and see.


This is definitely a pretty clean book. I think blas*** is used.


1 comment:

  1. I like romance that take their time too and to have the ability to get to know the couple first. Otherwise, I think this book sounds like a fun read.

    ReplyDelete